Having trouble paying your bill

If you are having trouble paying your gas or electricity bill, the first step is to speak to your energy company.  All energy retailers in NSW have programs to help customers with financial difficulties to pay their energy bills.  Your energy company's phone number will be on your bill.

Energy Accounts Payment Assistance Scheme (EAPA)

You may also be eligible for financial help through the NSW Government's Energy Accounts Payment Assistance Scheme (EAPA).  This scheme funds the provision of EAPA vouchers to people having trouble paying their energy bills as the result of an emergency or crisis situation.  The vouchers are provided to participating community welfare organisations - including St Vincent de Paul, the Salvation Army, Anglicare, the Smith Family, Lifeline and some Indigenous, migrant, neighbourhood and community centres.  The $30 vouchers can only be used to pay natural gas or electricity bills.  Customers need to apply to one of these organisations which will consider their circumstances and, if appropriate, provide assistance. The organisation assesses the customer's situation and determines each case based on individual circumstances. 

Click here (opens in a new window)  for further information on the EAPA scheme (including a list of participating community welfare organisations), or phone the Energy Information Line on 1300 136 888. 

Payment Plans

Energy retailers must develop, implement and publish detailed Customer Hardship Charters.  The Charters should include flexible payment options and appropriate financial counseling services. 

If you are having trouble paying your bill, contact your energy retailer and ask them about the most suitable payment plan option for your circumstances.


Feedback Details
Did you understand this information?

No Yes


Back to top
For Consumers