The Minister for Resources and Energy issues licences for the distribution of electricity in NSW. These licences are subject to standard conditions covering matters such as consumer protection and network reliability.
The following three electricity distributors are the licensed distribution network services providers in NSW:
- Ausgrid (formerly EnergyAustralia)
- Endeavour Energy (formerly Integral Energy)
- Essential Energy (formerly Country Energy)
IPART administers the licensing regime on behalf of the Minister. It advises the Minister on:
- the granting variation or transfer of a licence
- the imposition, variation or cancellation of licence conditions
- any action to be taken for a contravention of licence conditions
- any remedial action that may be warranted as a result of a contravention of licence conditions.
IPART may also impose monetary and non-monetary penalties and take other action it considers appropriate against licensees for contravention of licence conditions.
Transfer of licences are processed in the same manner as licence applications.
From 1 July 2013 the Australian Energy Regulator (AER) rather than IPART is responsible for administering electricity retailer authorisations. A person must hold a retailer's authorisation issued by the AER prior to engaging in the retail sale of energy (electricity or gas) in NSW (unless exempt from the requirement)
For further information please follow this link to the AER's Public Register of Authorised Retailers and Authorisation Applications (opens in a new window) or email the AER at: AERInquiry@aer.gov.au.
Licence Conditions and Regulatory Instruments
Technical & Safety Regulation