The first step in our approach for this review was to assess the current level of competition in the market for rank and hail services across NSW. We developed an assessment framework and applied it to a range of evidence about:
- market share held by taxi services and other point to point services,
- taxi licence values,
- passenger demand for rank and hail services, and
- the availability of alternative point to point transport options.
We also had regard to other matters including the cost of providing the services and the demand for new taxi licences.
Our review process to date has involved detailed analysis and public consultation:
- In September 2017 we released an Issues Paper which set out our proposed approach to the review and invited comment.
- We engaged ORIMA Research to undertake a survey of residents in Sydney, other urban areas and other parts of NSW on their point to point transport use.
- We engaged Taverner Research to undertake a short calibration survey of Sydney residents’ use of point to point transport.
- We engaged HoustonKemp to analyse changes in taxi and rideshare payments since 1 July 2015 using electronic transaction data.
- We also commissioned The CIE to estimate the efficient costs of rank and hail taxi services in NSW.